Thursday, January 2, 2014

A year in review

Here's another way to look back over the last year, 20 questions about the year (borrowed from here)

1. What did you do in 2013 that you had never done before?

Had a baby. 2013 will always go down in history as the year that I became Mom!

2. Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions and will you make more for next year?

I guess not, seeing as I don't even remember what they were :)  Oh well!

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yup, Melissa had Leanna and Andrea had Jack.  It was, and is, very fun to be raising little ones next to my best friends!

4. Did anyone close to you die?

 No.

5. What places have you visited?

Limberlost, Collingwood, the city Liam was born in, and Mrytle Beach!

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?

This is an interesting question this year. I think that every year that I've done this, I've wanted a child. And now that my arms are no longer empty, I'm at a loss for anything to write. I think in so many ways, Liam fulfilled a longing in me that I had had for so long that now that he's here, I feel full. Satisfied. Blessed.

7. What date(s) from 2013 will remain etched in your memory and why?

I think I'd say two dates:
*March 4 - this was the day that we got 'the' phone call from Jewels for Jesus saying that we had been chosen by a birth mother to adopt her baby. I think in that moment of time, I was so shocked and so excited I didn't even know what to do.  I will always remember that feeling of joy, excitement, nervousness, and so many other things
*June 4 - just three short (and long) months later the day came and our son arrived. Those first few moments of meeting him were - well I don't even know how to describe them. I still have tears in my eyes when I think of the moment I met our son.  It was beautiful in all the ways you could imagine it being.

8. What was your biggest achievement this year?

Learning praise. For so many years, in so much hard, we could feel joy, and often we choose joy, but this year, with the birth of our son, joy and praise just seems to flow out of me. I feel so blessed and so grateful it brings me to my knees. All of this was God. There are so many aspects of the story that were written so beautifully by Him.

9. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Nothing that was major. Praise the Lord!

10. What was the best thing you bought?

Baby items, I think. A crib, carseat, etc.

11. Where did most of your money go?

What little we had went to living - bills, groceries, morgtage - and the rest to adoption expenses.

12. What song will always remind you of 2013?

Not really sure. I think that Mike, the resident music man, would be better suited to answer this question :)

13. What do you wish you would have done more of?

I think feel more confident. In the last number of years, I feel less and less confident in the decisions that I make. I'm not sure if it's because I realize more and more that there are so many people that are so much wiser then I'll ever be. I think it's a good thing, because it's humbling!

14. What do you wish you would have done less of?

Worry. Fret about the future.

15. What was your favorite TV program?

We don't watch a lot, but Amazing race is definitely a favourite for us, as is Survivor.

16. What was the best book you read this year?

Hmmm....  my reading has definitely taken second place this year.  I think I can probably count on one hand the books that I read. Maybe this should be my resolution - put down the electronics and pick up more books.

17. What was your favorite film of the year?

We watched a lot of old classics as the year went on, but right now on the top of my head, I would say Juno. For all of the controversy that surrounds that film, it resonated with me.

18. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?

This year was a birthday to remember. I turned 30 on the 16th of July and the celebrations just didn't seem to stop. We were in Collingwood, so we went out for breakfast with the Douma family. We then spent the day at the beach. When we got back to the cottage, I was surprised to find my mom and dad had driven down to see me. We went out for dinnner and they stayed for a cup of coffee afterwards. A few weeks later my sister-in-laws threw me a surprise birthday party with all of my closest friends. Added to all of that was a little fellow to celebrate and I felt beyond spoiled and loved!

19. What national/world event stirred you the most?

I'm drawing a blank on this one. The passage in the Bible that talks about the end of times and how there will be 'wars and rumours of wars' describes our world well.

20. Who was the best new person you met?

Liam Nathan. He's still little, but he's a fabulous little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment