Tuesday, September 13, 2011

So, how was your trip?

I can't count how many times I've been asked this question!

I'm not quite sure how to answer it.

I spent 10 days in one of the poorest nation of the world training teachers on methods to use in educating the next generation.

My trip was good.
My trip was life changing.
My trip was interesting.
My trip was fun.
My trip was a success.

All of these answers seem somehow to fall short of how I'm feeling about the trip.

I've spent some time processing what I've seen, and though I've by no means figured it all out, I think I've realized that I've learnt somethings. 

I've learnt to be grateful. For little things like a toilet that flushed whatever you put into it. For running clean water coming out of a tap. For clothes to wear. And shoes.  And more than one pair or outfit.  For family that loves the Lord.  For a church family and friends and people that challenge me.  For so, so many things that I have that the people in Haiti don't. 

I've learnt to be sympathetic. Did you know that 80% of the people of Haiti go to bed at night without having enough to eat?  There is an 80% malnurishment rate!  Astounding.  And here I am, living my life over here. 

I've learnt to be aware.  Of other people. Of how they live. Sure, I've seen it in the news. You know that squalour conditions exist. But now I know know.

I've learnt to praise the Lord.  There is a lot of hurt and sadness, but God is there. There is a Christian school, in fact many of them, and there are organizations bringing His name. And there are Christians praising Him in their walk of life, even if that walk of life includes a dirt hut and a hungry belly.

I've learnt that I can't fix everything. I want to. But I can't. If I thought it would really do good I'd sell my house tommorrow and donate the money.  But, I can also live here and be an advocate and help fundraise and encourage those who live there.

I've learnt that God is in control. He sees everything and knows everything and has a good plan. 

There really aren't enough words to put onto paper all of the things that I've seen.  I'm storing them in my heart and hoping and praying that God will use the things that have changed my life and show me how He wants to use me in His service.

No comments:

Post a Comment