Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Lots of ways to help

I sat in church on this particular Sunday morning.  I was sitting by myself, Mike not yet having walked in with council. After reading the bulletin I perused through the pamphlets in our mailbox. 

I was struck by the needs around us.

Niagara Life centre needing to cut down on salaried hours because of a lack of funding.

The migrant ministry in need of drivers and bakers.

A fundraising campaign from Heritage Christian School.

The images of Haiti still fresh in my mind.

Kingdom Seekers starting a new year of training girls.


I've thought a lot lately about how to help.

I feel stretched and challenged to be who God wants me to be. Does that mean that I volunteer at the Niagara Life Centre? I could - I love children.  Does that mean that I bake every week for Migrant services and go on Sunday night? I could - I can bake.  Does that mean I give my money to the Christian School? I could - I work.  Does that mean I give it all up and move to Haiti? I could if it would help.  Does that mean I continue with girls club? I could - I have the time. 

On the ride home, overwhelmed by all of the options and all of the need, Mike reminded my of a very important fact. 

We are not called to do it all!  That's what the body of Christ is for. Some are the hands. Some the feet. Some the mouth.  And when each does there share, finds the place that they are called to be in and does that part with zeal and unto the Lord, it gets done. The needy are fed. The children are cared for. Our children are taught. 

So for now, in this season of life, I'm doing whatever I feel led to do. I'm not sure if that's more then I am right now, but I know that God will place things on my heart if that's where I'm meant to help. 

1 Corinthians 12: 4-6  "There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.  There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord.  And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all.

It is God who works all in all!

No comments:

Post a Comment