Thursday, March 4, 2010

She always wore dresses

Growing up, in a conservative Christian family, I went to a private school with all of the children from my church. Many of them were family members: brothers, sisters, cousins, second cousins, etc. Some weren't, but they soon become like family members. To say the least, we knew each other well!

One thing that separated us from public schools and the non-Christian community (or at least so they thought) was the fact that we always, always wore skirts. One was not allowed to enter the school building as a female wearing pants. You just weren't allowed.

Pants were considered men's clothing and therefore not appropriate for women to wear.

We wore pants at home, sometimes, because my parents didn't always follow 'the rules'. But for the most part in life, we wore skirts.

When we played soccer.
When we rode our bikes.
When we went for a walk.
When we went on the swings.
When we had gym (well sort of - we wore culots. Don't ask!)

I grew up thinking that there was nothing that could not be done in a skirt.

And for the most part, I still think this is true today. There is nothing that I can conceive of that cannot be done in a skirt. Or cannot be done just as well in a skirt as in a pair of pants.


And so today, as often as I can, I wear skirts. I'm more comfortable in them. I feel more feminine in them. They remind of what was. They have become part of who I am.


She always wore dresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment