Friday, November 16, 2012

Define

First, thank you all for your kind words on the post on waiting. It is a blessing to be encouraged to continue on by those who have been there, are there now.

Zephania 3:17 says,

"The Lord your God in your midst,


The Mighty One, will save;

He will rejoice over you with gladness,

He will quiet you with His love,

He will rejoice over you with singing.”

I've thought a lot in the last few days, quiet days, of how I define myself.

I am:
wife
daughter
aunt
sister
teacher
piano instructor
leader
lover
house keeper
friend
crafter
church member
God's child

And yet, on the quiet days, when I don't get called into teach and the to-do list is smaller then the hours in the day, I wonder.

Who am I really? What's most important, right now, right here. 

Is being a wife and taking care of the house and raking leaves and cooking dinner and lunch and planning girls club and going to Bible study - is it enough? 

There is a tendency in our dutch reformed circles to be too busy. Running from one scheduled event to the next.  Participating in every church activity because, after all, it's a church activity. Aren't you supposed to go?

And yet, without children in our home, we have lots of time for quiet. For talking and reading and relaxing.  And while I don't feel bad about that, there is a tendency to waste time. To not be as productive as when necessity calls for you to do 3 things at once. 

I'm in the middle again. On a bridge over a wide chasm.  On one side is the working world, the 9-5 (or for teachers the 8:30-3) and on the other side is motherhood, the 24-7.  I'm not in either.  And yet, in God's will, I'm right where I'm supposed to be. Wife. Daughter. Aunt. Sister. Teacher.  Piano instructor.  Leader. Lover.  House keeper.  Friend. Crafter. Church member. GOD'S CHILD!

.......

On a side note - who are you, bloggy friend?  I so love to read your comments. Here's a challenge - write a list of 10 things you are in the comments. I'd love to hear!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Theresa! I am one of your bloggy friends :) That term made me smile.
    Wife, Mom, Daughter, Aunt, Sister, Niece, Friend, Chef, Cleaner, Laundress, Chauffeur, Doctor, Accountant, Home-maker, Child of God!
    And sometimes when the inspiration hits, I'm a Blogger too. Praying for patience for you as you wait upon His will for your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also one of your bloggy friends.
    Wife
    Mommy to my furbaby Bailey
    Daughter
    Sister
    Aunt
    Friend
    Admin Assistant
    Church Member
    World Traveler
    Child of God

    ReplyDelete