Saturday, November 6, 2010

The loss of decency

I can remember a conversation with my mom, years back. We were discussing my desire to have a female family doctor.  I didn't really like the thought of a male doctor as I was growing into a 'lady'. 

My Mom smiled at me and said, "Just wait till you have a baby. Then you won't care at all about privacy and decency and the like."

Back then, I thought she was crazy. Of course I would always be concerned with decency and modesty and not wanting anyone to see anything.

Until we went through fertility treatments.

I've been poked.

Prodded.

Examined.

Ultra-sounded.

Asked questions about very personal things.


And the sad part. It's all become very normal.  I don't think twice about it.

I can remember my very first visit to the fertility clinic. We were handed a sheet with some information, and as we sat waiting for the doctor, we read it over. To my great suprise and shock it mentioned that I may have to have an internal ultrasound that very day. 
Looking at Mike with panic in my eyes, I told him that I couldn't do that. I needed time to prepare for such things!

And now, months into the process, I've had more of those than I can count. I don't bat an eyelash at it!

Just the other day, in a conversation with my mom and sister-in-law around Sunday morning coffee and dessert, I mentioned the word 'sperm'.  Without thinking, because it has become so normal for me. I chuckled at the somewhat uncomfortable look of those around me. Whoops!

I guess all this is to say, fertility treatments are hard. There are a lot of questions asked. There is a lot of poking and prodding into personal areas. It's not easy, but for some, it's the journey that God is placing them on. If you know someone who goes through this, sympathize with them.  Love them. Give them a hug or two extra.  Pray for them. Let them know that you are thinking about them. Ask them questions and be ready for a variety of responses.  Let them know that it is ok to cry and hurt and ask questions. 

2 comments:

  1. Here's some love, and a hug, and some sympathy, and prayer for you! I know I don't know you well, but I do know a path very similar to yours. Praying you will continue resting in the arms of our Saviour. I am so glad God has given you a fantastic husband to support you through it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say that I know and you`re not alone. My husband and I have been through the same journey, and I understand every word of what you write. Keep trusting HIM, for He is good! :0)

    ReplyDelete